Trauma & Fracture Surgery in Mumbai
A fracture is a broken bone. Traumas such as sudden accidents or assaults may result in single or multiple fractures. Fractures can also be caused by degenerative reasons such as osteoporosis, but they aren’t as deep and severe as traumatic fractures. Bones may also develop cracks or dislocate due to severe jostling.
Our fracture specialist in Dadar, Mumbai, has vast experience in handling compound fractures through less invasive methods that offer considerable results in minimal recovery time.
Causes Of Fractures
Bone fractures occur due to:
- Traumatic incidents such as accidents, free fall or sporting injury
- It may occur due to degenerative diseases, osteoporosis, tuberculosis impacting the spine, or metastatic and bone cancer.
Types Of Fractures
Treatment to a great extent depends on the fracture type. The types of fractures include:
- Transverse Fractures
Transverse fractures are straight line fractures caused due to sudden push, accidents, or free falls. Typically, the damage is deep and clear.
- Spiral Fractures
The name suggests, the fracture wounds around the bone are hence called spiral fractures. They occur in long bones such as the femur, tibia, and fibula in the legs. They occur due to sports injuries when a severe twisting impact is sustained and reaches the bones.
- Greenstick Fractures
These are partial fractures typically caused to children. These are caused by bone bends. Children are prone to this because the bones are softer and more flexible.
- Stress Fractures
Stress fractures, called hairline fractures are almost invisible in screening tests. These are usually caused by repetitive motions.
- Compressional Fracture
Compressional fractures cause when the bone becomes porous ( less dense) due to osteoporosis that causes its collapse. The collapse leads to several hairline fractures that deform the bone’s structure.
- Oblique Fracture
When the fracture is diagonal, that is, bone breakage is angular, it is called an oblique fracture. Oblique fractures are caused due to sudden thrust, push, or freefalls that impact bones haphazardly.
Diagnosis & Treatment
Fractures are usually very painful, and fractured body parts undergo tremendous inflammation. A fracture specialist in Dadar, Mumbai, recommends a CT scan to see through the suspected damaged part. In cases the bone fracture hampers nerves and causes mobility problems, the orthopedic doctor recommends an MRI scan to gauge the intensity of internal damage. Depending on the intensity and site of damage, the doctor recommends the following treatments:
- Splints – to restrict broken limb movement
- Braces – for bone support
- Plaster cast – to immobilize the bone and support the affected part. It is usually preferred for the limbs.
- Traction – Used in rare cases
- Surgically inserted metal rods or plates –Typically, surgery is recommended in most intensive fractures.
Most trauma fractures are severe and need surgery as the only treatment. Surgery may include bone trimming and stabilization with rods, metal plates, and screws. The surgical approach depends on the type and site of the fracture.
Fracture Surgeries At Orthoplanet Mumbai
The surgeries are very dependent on the size and type of fracture. For example, for pelvis bone fracture, or hip joint dislocation, stabilization surgery is done for spinal cord fracture, and a compound fracture surgery is performed in case of multiple fractures to a different body part,
All the surgeries are performed with anesthesia injected into the surgical site. The fracture specialist in Dadar, Mumbai performs MISS surgeries in some cases, for faster recovery. However, most cases might demand intensive open surgery.
Trauma surgery can be classified as:
Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF)
This surgical procedure aims to reduce the fracture’s impact. The fracture specialist in Dadar uses different fracture surgery approaches such as vertebroplasty, spinal fusion, and the spine’s Internal fixation by stabilization with devices such as Kirschner wires, plates, and screws.
In this procedure, fracture stabilization is done away from the fracture site. It aims to maintain bone length and alignment without casting. A locking plate is used externally, and screws are inserted around the fractured part to stabilize and hold them in place. Later on, after the bone grows into unison, the plates can be withdrawn. It is an alternative approach to plasters and casts for holding the fracture in the right alignment. External fixation is performed in the following conditions:
- Open fractures with soft-tissue involvement
- Pelvic fractures
- Comminuted and unstable fractures
- Fractures having bony deficits
- Limb-lengthening procedures
- Fractures with infection or non-union
Rehabilitation Programme By Our Fracture Specialist In Dadar, Mumbai
The major components for the rehabilitation or rejuvenation programs for bone fracture unison are:
- Diet– A fortifying diet is essential post-surgery. The body consumes more protein, vitamins, and essential minerals for bone growth and restoration.
- Physiotherapy and Exercise– In consultation with a physiotherapist, certain bone and muscle strengthening exercises are beneficial for faster recovery and mobility.
- Post Surgery Checkup– The bone growth happens on its own. But the surgical approaches aim to channelize bone growth in the right alignment and also stabilize the structure. Regular post-surgical checkups to ensure fracture recovery pace.
Why Choose Us?
Orthoplanet has earned expertise with the practice of almost twenty years. Our team comprises expert orthopedics, surgeons, and fracture specialist in Dadar, who are assets to our clinic. Our surgical rooms are equipped with the most advanced tools and equipment under the guidance of orthopedic specialists in Dadar, Mumbai, Dr. Abhijit Kale, spine surgeon, and joint replacement consultant. We also take in accidental emergencies and offer immediate trauma treatment without delay.